Friday, June 11, 2010

Bored in the summer

Is it really only June 11?  Everyday my boys say "I'm bored, I have nothing to do" over and over and over again.  Don't let them fool you.  Our home contains a plethora of toys, puzzles, coloring books, books, outside toys, bikes, balls and board games.  Joseph and Henry are 18 months apart, they should be perfect playmates but no, they only fight the entire day.  
My problem has been too much TV, computer games and laying around the house and TOO MUCH COMPLAINING!!  I am contemplating some sort of chart that actually works, do you know of one?  I am trying to figure out some routine that involves a minimum amount of time per day spent reading, writing, playing outside, quiet time and minimally watching TV.  Any ideas??

4 comments:

Heather said...

I feel you on TV. Grant can't watch it at all. We allow some Saturday morning time. After we had Miles, it seemed logical to watch a little while I feed Miles. It lasted a while but we noticed he became more and more stubborn and would not do anything we asked and begged for TV when he wasn't watching it. We got rid of cable about 3 months ago. Whew... best thing we have ever done! Now, If I was home with him every day all day, I don't know what I would do. It is hard to fill up every hour without mom getting a break to do some chores.

Molly said...

Wow, no TV except Saturday...you are good! My boys watch at least some everyday, but I would go crazy if they didn't :-) We haven't had cable in 6 years. Sometimes I wish we had it but then I think about what a waste of money it is!

Heather said...

You are right... such a waste of money! Since we never watch TV, we can't see paying for it. It is easier for us to not do TV because like I said.. I work, boys are at school/daycare all day. It would be a lot harder to do it if I was at home.. You got to have some "me" time at some point..

kkreations said...

Cable is a bit expensive, but we allow for it since we never go to the theater and rent movies only a few times a year. I like the variety with cable, my girls actually like watching HGTV (the decorating shows), I like animal planet channel (they learn about different animals), and the food network, shows like the cake boss, etc.
As for the boredom, well thats tough, with the girls they do a lot of crafts-making cards and pictures glittler and all, that keeps them very busy, and Ellie enjoys journaling so I ask her to do that when she gets a bit bored. I also have them play and teach Jace, they kind of like mothering him.