Saturday, October 16, 2010

Going to take the plunge....

Okay Mommies, I need some help....again!  I am finally going to take the plunge and get a baby sling/carrier/wrap for this baby.  I have no idea which one is the best, I have heard so many differing views.  Here are some I've looked at:
The Moby Wrap, looks interesting but also looks like a heck of a lot of material and like it would be hot in the summer.....thoughts?
The Ergo baby carrier,  I've heard great things about this, but looks like it is more for being out and about and not just at home.
The Maya wrap, looks a little too "hippy momma" for me....does anyone have one?
Basic, baby sling, by Slinglings.  

So, does anyone have any advice?  I plan on using this until the baby is too heavy to carry around, mostly for a young infant to about 9 or 10 months.  I don't really see myself lugging around an 18 month old in a carrier/sling.
Thanks for any advice!!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I have a Hotsling I really like for quick trips, and I used it from newborn til about 7 or 8 months w/ Brennan. Pat did, too, but the fabric I chose wasn't very masculine. ;)
Someone also gave us a Moby wrap. While it IS a lot of material & takes some getting used to, that by far was the one we BOTH came to love. If you're going somewhere, just put it on before you leave, & once you arrive you only need to adjust the baby into it.
Brennan would sleep SO WELL in it, for both Pat & I.

Not that I NEED more, but I'd also like to go either an Ergo or Beco for this baby. I used to go to a babyweairng group, and I was able to try on many different carriers. I love the easiness of the buckle carriers (Ergo. Beco), and would use them probably even past a year (for the back carry...I stink at the back carry w/ the wrap).

Check your area to see if there are any babywearing groups, and you should be able to try the different ones on. It helped me, anyway.

Good Luck!

kkreations said...

Molly,
On Maya wraps website there are instructions on how to make your own, I did that using a brown patterned material, I think I still have it, I could mail it to you if you want it. I honestly never used a wrap/sling or carrier, friends gave me Baby Bjorn, I had the wrap and a friend gave me to use a sling and I just never used it. They looked cool and comfortable but guess I am not that kind of Mom! :)
Love those headaches, I don't miss them. Hope you are feeling better soon!
Let me know if you would like the wrap! :)

Totus Tuus said...

I like the hotslings for quick, really quick trips. For mass or longer times, especially cooking or homeschooling, I like my Kozy carrier. It is a mai tai (sp?) style. It is similar to the ergo but not as rigid or expensive. Peter is 14 months and I still use it at daily mass and sometimes while teaching. I did not like the sling with a ring and I never tried the moby, I think Heather did. Kangaroo Korner also has some great fleece ones. I didn't like their thin cotton ones as they stretched too much. Heather and I both used the fleece Kangaroo corner ones. If you order that one let me know b/c I have a great tip.
Lena

Heather said...

I had the Moby Wrap and hated it.. I could never get it tight enough.. probably user error. I had the hotsling from Kangaroo Korner.. I might can give it to you for a cheap price or free.. Just need to talk to my sister. It was hers and she is done with kids. I will check with her and see what she says. It was so easy to use and super fast and secure.. and Miles loved it!