Tuesday, February 1, 2011

2 Day Vacay?

   When Thomas told me that he had to go to Huntsville and I said "Hey let's all go!"  I think I was delusional.  I figured the gas and hotel were paid for, the kids and I needed a break from the routine, we homeschool, so it would be a fun 2 day vacation.  He was staying at the Westin and there was a pool.....what couldn't be great about this?!  
   Well...like I said...I think I was delusional.  Let me start by saying that Joseph and Henry were really good, I can't blame them for anything....so that leaves one!  It dawned on us as we started our journey that Oliver really hasn't made that many long car trips.  The older boys were used to the long trips because we used to go back and forth from Alabama to Michigan very often when they were babies.  The trip began and continued like this:
Oliver: Mama, Mama!
Me:  What Oliver?
Oliver: Book! (I give him a book) 
Oliver: Mama, Mama, Mama!
Me: What do you need Oliver?
Oliver: Baba (water cup)
Me: Hand it to him
Oliver: Mama, Mama, Mama etc. etc. etc.  
We were taking bets on how many times he said my name...it had to have been in the thousands for the whole trip.  Aside from it being annoying, I get carsick (and and have the equivalent of a basketball in my stomach) and I can't turn around that much while riding in a car.
  He also only took a 10 minute nap...the entire day!  He wouldn't sleep in the van at all.  I thought he will DEFINITELY sleep tonight.  WRONG, again.  He woke up about 5 or 6 times during the night, Thomas and I got about 2 hours of sleep.
   Then, I had agreed to take the boys swimming in the pool.  What was I thinking???  I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and I can't think of a worse time to be in a swimming suit.  I endured it, but it wasn't fun.
We finally made it back home at about 7 last night.  I felt like I had ran a marathon.  We survived, but I have spent the whole day recuperating and doing laundry.  I don't think I want to take another road trip with Oliver for a couple of years...too bad we are already committed to our annual summer Michigan trip.  I have 5 months to mentally prepare!

2 comments:

kkreations said...

It is an adventure I am sure you will never forget and someday make you smile.

I took the girls to Florida (Ellie was 3 1/2 and Sydney was 20 months), our first attempt endured a 4 hour delay, with a flight cancellation in Milwaukee, got the last 2 seats back to Green Bay only before running through the airport dragging 1 kid, carrying the other along with 2 carryons and a car seat which I was told wasn't airline approved and since the flight was canceled, had to pick up baggage and recheck it, I seriously thought I might lose it. But in the end the girls had a wonderful time at Disney and the pictures to prove it even if it gave me gray hairs. :)

As for your summer trip - Benadryl! :)

Sharon said...

Oh boy. :(
Do you permit any movies while in the car?

My boys are plenty used to the long trips, too (it's 12 hours to see my parents), but that doesn't help them w/ sleeping in the car any.
Last summer we drove from OH to Raleigh, 14 hours. Brennan slept only the last 20 minutes!!!! I thought it was insane. It made me crazy. I can relate.