Friday, August 5, 2011

Ratatouille


My kids are so sick of ratatouille, but when I saw the Kroger ad this week with all of the summer veggies on sale, I had to make it again.  I really miss my food blog, so I decided to post it on here.  
I love this recipe because it is healthy and easy.  Ratatouille is usually a side but I have made it as the main dish.  One way that I have done this is by adding about 8 cups in a skillet, cracked some eggs on top, covered and cooked it for about 10 minutes.  When it is finished it is a great cheap dinner.  
(I have to give credit to my mother-in-law, this is adapted from her recipe :-)
RATATOUILLE
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion-sliced
1 oz garlic
1 green bell pepper-sliced
2 # zucchini-cut into rounds unpeeled
2 # eggplant-peeled and cut into chunks
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
2 T fresh parsley, or 2 tsp dried

Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add the onion and saute for 8-10 minutes.
Mash the garlic with the salt in a mortar and pestle (if you don't have one you can mince the garlic and add it with the salt to the pot)
Add bellpepper, tomatoes and seasonings.
Cook uncovered for 30 minutes
Add the zucchini and eggplant, cover and cook for 30 minutes.


No comments: