Thursday, August 4, 2011

Skinny Boy

I just returned from Bennett's 4 month appointment.  Everything was fine except I have another tall, skinny boy (they take after their Daddy!)  He is  11.9 # (3%) for weight and 24.75 inches (42%.)  All of my boys,  except Henry, have been this way.   I have a new pediatrician who is very supportive of breastfeeding and didn't seem overly concerned.  He did say that starting cereal soon would be helpful though.  I am not sure what to do.  I really believe in the benefits of waiting to start solids but also think that he should be gaining more weight.  
My old pediatrician was very annoying with Oliver and his lack of weight gain.  She really pressured me to supplement, which I never did.  I also found a new pediatrician because I found her very difficult to deal with.  
Normally I would just smile at the doctor and say okay but then not really worry about it.  The 3% kind of concerns me.  I am not sure if my super insane workout program is affecting my supply or if it is just Bennett.  I am hoping to make it to 5 months.  Does anyone else have any experience with underweight babies?  What did you do?

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Did he drastically change percentiles from his previous check-up?
My boys have always been in the low percentiles (also taking after their dad), but our one ped had a great attitude about it: he said "Brennan is Brennan, and he lingers around this percentile".

As long as your sweet boy is HEALTHY and still growing, I wouldn't be concerned. Honestly.

Our first ped, w/ Aidan, reacted in a concerned way (Aidan was way skinny...as in 16 pounds at one year). So we started the rice cereal promptly at 4 months, and it was a mistake. He got dry patches on his skin, it hurt his stomach, etc.

He is still ON the charts, so that's good. :) And if he's consistent w/ where he's been so far, I'd not jump into table food.

Good luck. Trust your instincts!

Heather said...

Ha.. but those are percentiles right?? If he was born in the 50's, would he still be at such a small percentile. Grant was only 3-10 percent for a long time. He is about 20 percentile now but there are a lot of his friends who are just over weight. And we were at the middle school yesterday, I swear I only saw one girl who didn't have a muffin top. If he is happy and you are happy, mother's milk is best. I carried Grant on my hip until he was 5 years old but looking back at mom and dad's photos, our kids should be lightweights. You could see our ribs on us when we were 5!

Thomas said...

Ummmm....his daddy hasn't been skinny in a LONG time. Maybe on the tall side....but not so skinny.

kkreations said...

I wouldn't worry at all, especially since your other boys fell in the same category. As long as he is eating, filling his diaper and happy! :)

ps. Does your Mom live off CO road 607? We were staying up north and we drove past a couple walking and I thought it looked like your Mom!