Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Greatest Gift


'Tis the season for thanksgiving.  Joseph, my oldest son, has been bringing home many different activities that require him to list what he is thankful for.  The most recent were leaves on which he needed to write things for which he was thankful.  His first, immediate, response was "I'm thankful for my baby brother."  I was so touched by his answer!  If you don't know Joseph, he tends to be a little selfish at times and is REALLY into his toys.  I completely expected his first answer to be Legos!  Isn't it great when you have those tiny "I must be doing something right" moments?!   
When he said that he was thankful for Oliver, I remembered that quote that I hear so often  "the greatest gift you can give your children is a sibling."  I have found this to be true in my family.  My boys, though they do fight, are learning patience, charity, selflessness and many other virtues by dealing with their brothers. 
I often need to remind myself about this when things get a little crazy in my house.  I have been reflecting on this a lot lately, as I see my neighbors and relatives' children growing up.  I know that in the moment, I can get stressed out and overwhelmed, but I also know that this time is fleeting.  Sometimes, people think we are crazy for wanting more kids, but I know that I am blessed that God has given me these three little boys to help form into good men.  I am so happy that my kids seem to realize that they are blessed too.