Sunday, November 29, 2009

Happy Advent!


Today marks the first day of Advent.  I love this season.  We decorated our house yesterday.  I have been sick and felt awful but tried to get in the Christmas spirit, I think I failed most of the time!  The boys are very excited about Christmas this year.  I am finding it difficult to find a balance between celebrating the secular holiday (Santa, elves, stockings, Rudolph etc.) and the real reason for the season; the birth of Jesus.  Does anyone else have to continue to remind their kids about "the Jesus part" of Christmas?  I want them to enjoy Santa and all of the things that go along with that, but ultimately I want them to know that Jesus' birth should be our main focus.  This is one reason why I love Advent.  I am going to be doing some Advent activities with the boys, we have a wreath and calender and we may be doing a Jesse Tree this year.  I am subscribing to the Advent Adventures, which should help give me some ideas to have the boys grow in their faith in addition to enjoying the fun of Santa.  How do you help keep your kids in the "right" spirit during the holidays?

No comments: