Saturday, September 12, 2009

Soccer Saturday


Well, it looks as though every Saturday for the next month and a half is going to be Soccer Saturday.  Joseph and Henry are playing for the first time this fall and had their first game today.  I have to admit, soccer wasn't my first choice for them to play.  I was envisioning basketball, baseball and even football before soccer.  BUT, 4 and 5 year olds can't really handle more than kicking a ball down a field, plus the rules are pretty easy to understand!
So we dragged them (literally) onto the field today.  I was a little upset with them because Joseph was being his usual stubborn self and wouldn't go onto the field.  He did end up having a lot of fun though and scored a goal!
I was disappointed to learn that they don't keep score?!  I am all for not making kids feel badly but I hate the mentality these days of letting "everyone win."  It is okay for there to be a winner and a loser.  I played a lot of sports while growing up and was very competitive.  I guess I was expecting the boys to be a little more competitive but Thomas had to remind me that they are only 4 and 5.  It will be a season of me biting my tongue and letting them "have fun."  I said to Thomas, "well we have 3 boys, one of them should like sports, right?"  I hope they learn to love sports like I do, but if they don't I can hopefully get just as much joy out of going to a boy scouts event or an academic bowl....right?

No comments: