Monday, March 22, 2010

Beans = Sacrifices

For the past four weeks of Lent we have been trying to live more sacrificially.  This sounds grandiose, but what it amounts to is putting a bean in a bud vase every time we sacrifice something or do something nice for someone.  I have been surprised by how eager the boys have been to do this and even more surprised that it has been four weeks and they are still excited about it!  
The way it works is throughout Lent you continue adding beans to the jar (or in our case, vase) and the night before Easter, the Easter Bunny exchanges all of your sacrifice beans for jelly beans.  I actually took the time to count our beans today and we have 106!  Honestly, I didn't think we were going to have that many and we still have two weeks left!  
This little exercise has turned out to be a good lesson for the boys.  When they are fighting over a Lego piece or a toy I say "if you let him have it without fighting you can put  a bean in the jar."  The amazing part is that it really works!  They really seem to be enjoying making sacrifices!  
This isn't just for kids either, I have been known to put one in the jar when I am really craving some chocolate or one of the kids is testing my patience.  I think we will be enjoying jelly beans for a long time after Easter!

No comments: