Wednesday, February 17, 2010

And it begins....

It's that time of the year again....wasn't it just Christmas?  Honestly, I have a love/hate relationship with Lent.  It is one of those things in life that is uncomfortable, but you know it is good for you.  Growing up this basically meant no candy or meat on Fridays; but as an adult it has taken on a much deeper meaning for me.  Lent is a great time for me to really focus on my spiritual life by requiring certain things of myself that I tend to get away from throughout the year: daily prayer, scripture reading, praying the rosary etc.  When I am not pregnant, I usually diet, exercise and give up sweets.  Although this can be really, really hard there is the added benefit of losing those last stubborn baby pounds.  Having this season of penance and sacrifice makes the joy of Easter even greater. 
So I asked the boys what they were going to give up/do for Lent:
Henry: I am going to give up Star Wars.
Me:  that is a good thing to give up Henry, because I know that you really like to watch Star Wars.
Joseph: I am going to give up reading, because I really don't like reading.
I don't think he understands the point yet......

No comments: