Thursday, February 18, 2010

Examining Food

We came across the movie Food Inc. by accident, the movie is a documentary that details the food industry and proves to be an enlightening, albeit mostly disturbing, look into our nation's food chain.  I found the details of the American food business fascinating.  I was convinced to buy local and organic whenever possible.  Thanks to my husbands curiosity we then got the book In Defense of Food from the library.

I just finished reading it and it solidified the fact that I needed to find out more about the food that I buy and cook for my family.  I have come to the realization that I may be more "crunchy" than I thought!  (Which then led my husband to borrow Crunchy Con from the library, which is about "crunchy" conservatives...but that is a whole other story!)  
One suggestion in the book is to not eat anything that lists more than 5 ingredients or anything that you cannot pronounce.  This doesn't sound that hard; until you start looking at all of the crackers, animal cookies, chips and kid-friendly snacks.  Not to mention trying to avoid corn syrup, that is nearly impossible!  Thanks to recently making my own granola bars, my kids seem up for this new way of eating but we will see how how it works over time.  
We are fortunate because in our area we have access to many CSA's  (community supported agriculture) and local farms.  We can easily get organic, grass-fed meat and local produce.  
If you have time, read this book and if you are really motivated watch the movie and read the book.   The new knowledge you gain will definitely make you think twice before you buy that hamburger meat at the grocery store.

1 comment:

kkreations said...

You might enjoy National Geographic's Green Guide, it is a magazine, I enjoy reading it, gives you lots of "green" information.