Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happy St. Valentine's Day

Here we are celebrating another religious holiday that has been kidnapped by our secular culture.  Okay, I'll admit it, I don't have a problem celebrating love and I actually like having a day that forces us to be romantic....BUT I like to remember that this day is actually the feast day of St. Valentine.  For those who don't know, he is not a cherub who flies around shooting arrows at people in his underwear (AKA Cupid) but was a priest who was martyred for his faith in the year 269.  I know, not as romantic as the image that we like to have of him.  There is still  a little bit of a "love connection" though; he was caught marrying a couple and this is what brought about his persecution and ultimately his death.  He is the patron saint of engaged couples, happy marriages and love.  St. Valentine pray for us!  
PS
Here we are before marriage, kids, bills......but not as in love as we are today! 

 I love you Thomas!  Happy St. Valentine's Day!! XOXOXO

No comments: